Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Free Things Rock

Something to add to my list (which I haven't made yet) about why the internet is awesome - Free Things websites. Today I found one of the ultimate Free Things sites - free printable classical sheet music. I was able to find the thing I wanted within hours of deciding I wanted it. This is far, far better than getting something you've wanted for a long time. Because after all, if I just decided I want it, then it disappoints, it's not like I've been looking forward to it for ages and ages. It's a disappointed whim, not a shattered dream.

What was it I got? Oh, the music for Bach's Trio Sonata V in G Major, BWV 529, for organ. This was an astonishing triangulation of technology here, this discovery. I got an iPod for Christmas. So I was recording all my CDs, and among those CDs is a box set of the complete organ works of JSB. One of them souonded nice, with a relativelky uncomplicated pedal part except for a couple of murderous passages - the kind of thing I could master in a year, maybe. So I look it up on iTunes, and find it conveniently arranged by BWV number. I enter "Bach bwv 529" into Google, up comes this free sheet music site. 800+ pieces of music. Free. YAY! I love technology. When did wish-fulfillment get so easy?

So, here it is: http://www.mutopiaproject.org . While I'm at it, here's my other favorite Free Stuff website: http://www.cpdl.org . This one is Choral music, and has thousands of scores.

So. Now. Time to tackle the Trio Sonata, which, I hear, is one of the most difficult forms of organ music to play. But I have confidence in myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home