Thursday, September 28, 2006

OK, Next Thing...

I suppose I should follow up with a marginally more interesting 10 Things You Probably Don't Know About Me.

1. I don't really like kids that much. My own excepted, of course. That is to say, I love my children, and I recognize the value of children, and I'm open to having many children. But really, I just don't enjoy the company of children until they get to be about 10 years old. Though I must say, my eight year old daughter gets more interesting every day.

2. I hate performing. This may strike you as odd if you've known me for a long time, knowing that I've been performing at every opportunity since I was about six years old. When I was a kid, there was never a talent show that went by without me in it somewhere. However, I would much rather not perform. The main reason I still do it, besides the fact that I now get paid for it, is that what's even worse than performing myself is hearing someone else perform it incorrectly.

3. Somewhat related to 2, and some of you know this: I suffer from near paralyzing stage fright. I actually thought I had overcome it, since I can now sing into a microphone and play the organ on Sunday without getting sick with nerves. However, I was called upon to sing alone, with a different organist, and I had to stand where everyone could see me. It was horrible. I never want to do it again.

4. I have no patience for perfectionists. And my husband is one. When I want something done properly, I'll ask him to do it, but I can't watch. It drives me crazy.

5. I firmly believe that if there are significant obstacles to a marriage, "But we *love* each other" is the worst reason to get married. I would never recommend marrying for love if there weren't more practical reasons to back it up. At the start, what you're feeling is not love, and it goes away. If you're left with nothing else, you're in trouble.

6. Half my friends think I'm quite liberal, the other half think I'm far too conservative. Those two words hold no meaning for me anymore.

7. My favorite people to hang out with are teenagers and women over 40.

8. I have no desire for my children to attend college, and don't intend to pay for it if they do. I don't think that a college education is necessary, and more often than not, it's nothing but a waste of time and money. A lot of time and a lot of money. I won't object if they want to go, but they'd better think it over carefully, because they're going to be the ones who have to make it happen.

9. Curriculum is wrong-minded. The whole idea of it. Well, that's kind of a bold statement, isn't it? I don't mean any offense to teachers, mothers who use pre-packaged curriculum, or curriculum experts or anything. Hmm... I can see this is going to need a post of its own. For now, I'll say I don't Believe In Curriculum.

10. About a year and a half ago, I realized that I am smart. I don't think I ever really knew that. Around the same time, I realized that I'm not really very smart.

Maybe now that I'm "Blogging," I can make a seperate post on each of these items. This is kind of a fun place to jot down my very random thoughts and expand on them in a way I don't usually get to. I just have to remember not to write anything I wouldn't want my mother to see.

Don't get all spoiled and expect a new post every day or anything, though.

2 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Are you kidding? I'm spoiled already! More, more!

I like the company of older children, too. Babies are cute and smell great, but I like to have conversations. I really enjoy the 5-6 year old range because they're old enough to listen to stories (and have the pictures be in their heads), but they're still willing to suspend disbelief.

I think I may be as passionately anti-standardized testing as you are anti-curriculum.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger BlueMamma said...

ha ha ha. standardized tests are the devil. well, maybe not *actually* the devil, but they're very evil. curriculum may not be wrong on that kind of scale, but it's more insidious, so... yeah. i'm not sure what i'm trying to say. except that i agree with you on being anti-standardized test.

well, anti-standardized-anything, actually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home